ecognition – this is what STARSkate is all about!
offers opportunities for skaters of all ages to develop fundamental figure skating skills in the areas of ice dance, skating skills, free skate and interpretive skating. Unique in Canada, this program teaches figure skating skills in a group and/or private lesson format in a progressive and sequential manner and includes specifically designed awards and incentives. Skaters have the opportunity to take Skate Canada Tests through a nationally standardized testing system. Skaters who have mastered figure skating skills in STARSkate may also choose to pursue synchronized skating or pairs skating.
The STARSkate legacy
STARSkate has been the mainstay of figure skating in Canada for more than four decades.
When you/your child registers for a STARSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada and will have access to:
- opportunities to be recognized through a nationally standardized testing system for achieving specific figure skating skills
- complimentary Gold Test pins
- invitational and interclub competitions, including the STARSkate championship stream
- specifically designed awards and incentives such as badges, tattoos and stickers
- STARSkate Skater of the Year awards program
- Progress updates and report cards
- Special STARSkate events and club functions
- Opportunity to be talent-scouted
- Opportunity for personal growth and the development of important life skills such as goal-setting, self-discipline, confidence, time management, healthy lifestyle and coping strategies to deal with success and failure.
These are some of the awards and incentives that have been developed to encourage athletes in the STARSkate Program.
How STARSkate works
The STARSkate program consists of figure skating skills in four areas – Skating Skills, Ice Dance, Free Skate and Interpretive. Each area is divided into the following levels:
Primary Level Tests
Intermediate Level Tests
- Skating Skills: Preliminary, Junior Bronze
- Free Skating: Preliminary, Junior Bronze
- Dance: Preliminary, Junior Bronze
- Interpretive: Introductory
Senior Level Tests
- Skating Skills: Senior Bronze, Junior Silver
- Free Skating: Senior Bronze, Junior Silver
- Dance: Senior Bronze, Junior Silver
- Interpretive: Bronze
- Skating Skills: Senior Silver, Gold
- Free Skating: Senior Silver, Gold
- Dance: Senior Silver, Gold, Diamond
- Interpretive: Silver, Gold
For Informaiton on the new Star 1 - 5 Structure, click here for the Parent Guide!